We have always been a church that loves people. From our beginning in 1945 in downtown Maryville to our present location on Route 162, we continue to grow and reach out to the region with programming for all ages.
The original First Baptist Church of Maryville, at 209 East Main Street, was officially organized on March 4, 1945 with thirty-six members. By 1985, the congregation recognized the need to relocate to a new facility. Approximately 30 members stepped out in faith and purchased 6-acres at 2184 Vadalabene Drive behind Anderson Hospital. An educational building was built with the fellowship hall serving as the sanctuary. Due to rapid growth, two worship services were held on Sunday mornings from December 1988 to March 1991 until the new 500-seat sanctuary was completed. By 1993, the church added two additional education wings.
In 1995, the church stepped out in faith again and purchased 35-acres at 7110 Illinois State Route 162 in anticipation of God’s work in the community. After building a 1000-seat sanctuary, the first service was held on July 9, 2000 with over 1200 in attendance. By March 2001, the church added an additional 9:15 a.m. worship service along with the 10:45 a.m. service on Sunday mornings to accommodate additional growth.
In 2008, the church moved to three services and added a parking lot in the rear to accommodate growth. The newest addition, on the west side, includes new classroom space, expanded ministries for children, and opens a 300-seat chapel.
Recently, we have been averaging over 1500 in attendance for Sunday morning worship, with over 1100 attending our ConnectGroups. God continues to bless our fellowship with spiritual and numeric growth.
Full-Time Senior Pastors:
Alfred Pratt (1945 – 1949)
William Hamby (1949 – 1952)
Albert Hinners (1952 – 1956)
Leroy Geiger (1956 – 1958)
Jesse Gibson (1958 – 1959)
Donald Shockley (1959 – 1962)
Richard Dillender (1962 – 1967)
Walter Mattingly (1967 – 1968)
John Gilmore (1968 – 1969)
Lester Thompson (1969 – 1969)
Lester Dean (1970 – 1976)
Bobby Dailey (1976 – 1977)
Robert Huffman (1977 – 1979)
Duane Faulkenberry (1980 – 1984)
Jerry Brown (1984 – 1987)
Fred Winters (1987 – 2009)
Tom Hufty (2010 – Present)
Fred Winters (1987 - 2009)
Legacy of Faithfulness
Pastor Fred Winters was born Wednesday, December 4, 1963 in Kansas City, Missouri. During his high school years, Fred felt the call to full-time ministry. He received his BA from Southwest Baptist University, Master’s degree in Systematic Theology and Church History from Wheaton Graduate School, MDiv from Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (MBTS) and Doctorate from Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. Fred was active in Illinois Baptist life and served as an adjunct professor at MBTS. Fred, and wife Cindy, faithfully served the congregation of First Baptist Church Maryville for over twenty years.
On Sunday, March 8, 2009, a little after our 8:15 a.m. service began, a man approached the stage in our Worship Center and fired several gunshots at Pastor Fred Winters. Two church members were wounded in their efforts to stop the attack and restrain the assailant. Pastor Winters was taken to the hospital but died of his wounds.
During his twenty two years of service, First Baptist Church Maryville grew from an average Sunday attendance of 35 to over 1,200, a testament to Pastor Fred’s devotion to solid, Biblical teaching, encouraging spirit, and prayerful direction. He is greatly missed by those who knew and loved him. Please continue to pray for Pastor Fred's family, the assailant and his family, as well as our church family.